Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Kids Talk About Swearing

LONDON Reading over Daddy’s shoulder as he was
& KELLY editing at the swimming pool).
(Age 7 & 5)

L: (Laughing out loud.) That’s really a funny part.

D: Thank you. I’m glad you like it.

L: You’re a good writer. You know what I’m going to do? As soon as I finish reading Black Beauty I know what book I’m going to read.

D: What?

L: I’m going to read the book It Never Snows in Vietnam by My Daddy.

D: Well, I’m very flattered, London. But, I’m afraid you’re not old enough to read that book yet.

L: Why not?

(Kelly climbed out of the swimming pool and joined us.)

K: Yeah, why not?

D: Well, first of all because it has a lot of swear words in it.

K: What are swear words?

D: Those are naughty words you’re not supposed to say out loud.

L: Why not?

D: Because it’s not nice. It’s impolite.

L: I know some swear words.

D: You do? What are they?

L: I’m not supposed to say them.

D: That’s okay. You can say them this one time. (He looked a little leery.) You won’t get in trouble.

L: Okay. (Now whispering . . .) Shit.

D: Yes, that’s a swear word.

L: It means: poop.

D: That’s right.

L: I know another one, too. It’s really bad.

D: Go ahead and tell me.

L: Heck.

K: (Piping in) I know a swear word.

D: What is it?

K: Idiot.

D: That’s a good one.

K: I know another one, too. It’s really, really bad.

D: Alright, tell me.

K: (Whispering) Underwear.
(9/23/02)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home